Thursday, November 14, 2013

Sewing Room Vortex


Today's bright idea....

Image source: http://tinyurl.com/par8cg6

Sew....today I was trying out a couple of new patterns and about 1/4 of the way through the project I realised I needed some fur. Easy right?   All I had to do was head over to the 'fabric storing area' (wardrobe) and get said fur.  Nope not that easy! 4 hours in I hadn't found it but I had found some gorgeous teapot fabric, some black 'sexy' lace, brilliant wooden buttons and some new wool fabric I had forgotten all about!


Now I am sure that I am not alone in the search of craft items.  I am positive that other sewers out there dread having to actually find things in their sewing rooms...you know you have the item (you have the receipts to prove it!) but you can't actually put your hand on it. The thing is if you're asked you can't actually find it straight away - it's more of a 'go make a coffee and I'll let you know how I'm going' sort of request. Now don't get me wrong my sewing room doesn't exactly look like this:
Image source: http://tinyurl.com/p83n5rd

However in fairness it doesn't look like this either:
Image source:http://tinyurl.com/pjfg2fc

It's more like a happy medium between the two - everything is neat but not 100% ordered. I know what I've got...but sometimes have to go searching for it. I do admit it doesn't help that I share my sewing room with my doll collection...but that's another blog entry!  So anyway... the fur! I had pulled out most of my fabric (and then actually taken the time to refold and stack neatly - rediscovering gorgeous prints along the way!), searched through the 'embellishment' shelf, button drawer etc etc...however no fur.

So....absolutely needing the fur to finish the project I decided a quick fabric shop trip was in order. Packed the kids into the car and headed off. Had the fun 'stop running round the fabric store' conversation with the kids (mine aren't the only one's to do that right:?)  Got the fur...repacked the kids...came home, only to discover I had locked myself out!  Called hubby who was going to be at least an hour (brilliant!).  

When I finally got back to my sewing room this evening I laid the fur out and was about to start cutting when hubby comes in and looking at the fur innocently says 'how did you get that down without the ladder?'. I'm about to reply 'what are you talking about?'....when I remembered that I had moved a bunch of fabric into my own wardrobe's top shelf  (I might have needed the room) - including the fur!!!  So I walk through - look up and yep...there's the fur...and some pretty silk cashmere...oohhhh  wool suiting...and lace!!

Image source: http://tinyurl.com/px9mkgc




 - sorry I'd finish the blog post but I have to go roll in some fabric for a while!

No comments:

Post a Comment